Sunday 15 February 2009

The snow is gone and we've really started planning and preparing!!!!! eep!!

Well, I thought it was high time I got myself onto the computer to write a blog seeing as Toby has kindly invited me to!!!

The work on the boat is now moving on and the work on the boiler and gas systems (fingers crossed) should have been completed on Friday. With any luck now we can get the in-water survey done, and a cheque written very soon!! All of a sudden things seem to be moving quickly and are we actually ready yet? Seeing as it shouldn't be too long until we can move in we thought we had better get organised!! Lists have been written and we have quite a few things to get done!

Most of my stuff is packed up now, although I know I need to sort through what I have and what we need... ah another list is to be created!!!

Toby is in the process of packing... I suppose I'm lucky in a way, all of my stuff is in boxes and just needs sorting to make sure I have everything I want. It all seems to be taking time but it has definately helped the last week go quickly! Hopefully within the week we will have everything packed and sorted and will have also been shopping for food essentials and general stuff - dried foods and herbs and spices, washing up liquid etc. I am obviously going to be getting the more eco friendly washing up liquids and I have also been looking into eco friendly shampoos and things. I don't really like the thought of chemicals going into the canal that really shouldn't be there, so we're going to try to be as eco friendly as we can. Toby really liked the idea of growing soapwort and making our own soap and such, but I think we may try and build toward that stage!

Speaking of growing things, our bow garden plans have started and we have literally just ordered some seeds!! This is what we have coming so far...
  • Nasturtiums
  • Wild Rocket
  • Peppermint
  • Mesclun Mixed Leaf Lettuce
  • Swiss Chard
  • Oregano
Toby's going to be on the hunt for his plant pots etc and we're hoping the seeds that we've ordered won't be too much, I can imagine an overgrown mass of green things overflowing in the bow!! I really wanted a potato bin but seeing as that would take up quite a bit of room it seemed unlikely! We're also hoping to supplement our food with things we can forage for, we have a couple of good books so I reckon we'll do quite well, here's hoping anyway!

We decided we don't want to change anything on the boat until we've had a chance to live with it. Then we can make a decision based on experience - there's no point in changing anything and then realising we've done it wrong... mind you, there will probably be times when that does happen. Anyway, through deciding this it made us make some decisions on the music system, the main thing being we won't be taking the tape player out - yet! By chance, in Tescos we found a dirt cheap tape adaptor that can be plugged into mp3 players. This just happens to plug into anything that would take headphones - including the laptop. So we could use the laptop, or an mp3 player! The mp3 player can be charged using Toby's handy portable solar charger and therefore be more economical, which is even better!

We have managed to arrange to see the boat tomorrow!! WOOP WOOP! So we will be taking Toby's Mum, Simon and Anne to see it!! Plus I am very excited at seeing it again and will be making lots of notes of things to get and do etc.

All of a sudden everythings happening and its really exciting! I just cannot wait to get onboard and start our riverway adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment